The Marketplace @ Violets & Sunshine

01 November 2016

Cheers To You!


Hi All! Welcome to the Rose Blossom Blog Hop featuring Close To My Heart's November Stamp of the Month: New Year's Cheer!

If you've just hopped over from the AMAZINGLY talented Lynn Darda's blog, From My Bungalow, you're in the right place. (I'll have a list of participants at the end of this post.)

So as you can see, this stamp set is perfect for creating beautiful invitations to that fabulous New Year's party you're planning or for all those parties you plan to throw throughout the year. I love the clean Art Deco-like style. I, however, wanted to use it just a little bit differently. 

We happen to have a number of families in our circle of friends who do not celebrate the Christmas holidays. Now I love making Christmas cards, but I always struggle a bit with the generic ones. After all, some of our friends aren't really celebrating any holidays in the winter, depending on the year. BUT, just about everyone I know here in the US celebrates the turning of the New Year. So I used this fantastic little stamp for a set of Happy New Year cards.

Let's take a look at one of them:


To create this simple card, I used water color cardstock cut to 3 1/4 x 4 1/2 inches and created a very light wash over the background using light blue and warm grey water colors. I then dried it with my heat tool. I stamped the champaign flutes in VersaMark ink and heat embossed them using gold embossing powder. I did the same with the "cheers" sentiment and switched the embossing powder to silver. I then masked off the top of my flutes and stamped the bubbles using Whisper ink. I also used Whisper ink to stamp the starburst randomly around the front of the card for a little extra flair. I used my 0.3 Copic fine liner to add some doodle lines around the flutes and along the base to help ground them a bit more. 

I then added layers of Glacier and Whisper cardstocks and popped the whole thing up on a White Daisy card base using fun foam.

Here are some close ups of the front.


And here's a look at the greeting inside, which I stamped in Whisper ink:

 And here's the card, once again:


I hope you enjoyed my Happy New Year card! This really is a versatile little set. The images are really perfect for any celebratory occasion, and the bubbles and starbursts would make fantastic little backgrounds all their own.  Now for more inspiration, hop on over and see what the brilliant Morgan Vogt has in store for you at Tweetscraps!

And as promised, here's a list of the participants in today's hop:

Kim {that's ME!}

Have a fantastically creative week!









8 comments:

  1. You are talented at water color! Very nice card, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this card, and you are right - we were thinking along the same lines! Of course, my talented friend, you saw beyond the white background with watercolor. A gorgeous addition!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I love the gold, silver and Glacier color combo. You are so right about those starbursts and bubbles. They will be fun to just play with background stamping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always your watercoloring is gorgeous - this one is really simple, but it adds so much to the background. If you're at Convention next year, I'm going to steal you away for a few hours so you can show me your watercolor and marker coloring magic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Kim! The gold and silver work together so beautifully and I love how you grounded the glasses. Can't wait to play with this set now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! I especially love the watercolor wash in the background. It's the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Silver and gold get along well when given a lovely watercolor background! Going to give your Champagne/Versamark/Gold Emboss powder combo a try. Looks like that adds real depth. I didn't notice the line accents at the base of the glasses until you pointed it out but, wow!, that really brings it together. Lovely work Hill! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, look at all those layers! Love the elegant look to these, Kim! <3

    ReplyDelete