The Marketplace @ Violets & Sunshine

09 November 2016

Pushing the Envelope....

Okay, so I was trying to decide if this post should be "pushing the envelope" or "in the bag"--and really either would work for today's project!

Once again, we are working with elements from the Simon Says Stamp November card kit. Included in the kit were two metallic envelopes--one in orange and one in copper. I decided to turn them into treat bags. (There are dozens of tutorials on YouTube for this project. I used this one.)

Let's take a look at the orange bag:


To make this bag, I sealed the envelope closed and scored it at one inch on two long sides and one short. I then cut a half-inch off the top (the side that wasn't scored). I then folded along the score lines and reinforced the creases using a bone folder. I then opened the envelope and carefully folded and creased the bottom so that it created a bag. (It's really much easier than it sounds.)

I then created a tag for the bag using ivory and blue cardstock scraps from the kit. I cut the tags using one of the Nesting Tags Dies by Hero Arts. I added sentiments from the Thankful Heart stamp set using retired Olive and Autumn Terracotta inks from Close To My Heart. I added hemp twine to the tag and clipped it on using a mini clothespin from the Lovestruck clothespins by Close To My Heart.

Here's a couple of close ups:


Next, I decided to add embossing to the bag made from the copper envelope.


The embossing is a fairly cool effect from afar, but it did rip the envelope a bit. I'm not sure if there's a way for me to adjust the embossing "sandwich" so that there would be less pressure on the envelope, but I'll experiment with that in the future.

I used the same tag set to make a tag for this one and stamped "thanks" using the copper Delicata ink from the kit. I didn't think the ink showed true "copper" on the blue cardstock, so I went over the stamping with a copper marker. I added twine to the tag and then clipped it to the bag with a clothespin from the Close To My Heart Happy Day Mini Clothespin collection. 

Here's a close of of the tag and embossing:


And here's a look at the two bags together:


If you have suggestions on embossing thinner papers (like envelopes), please let me know.

Hope you enjoy these little treat bags. Stay tuned for one more project done with this versatile card kit!

Until then, have a fantastically creative day!







2 comments:

  1. This is such a fun project, Kim! Great way to utilize some of those fancier special envelopes, like these metallic ones. Love the clipped tags and the embossing, too. Not sure how to avoid the tearing on those thinner papers, though.... maybe using one of the silica mats instead of the top cutting plate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cool! I love the embossed copper!

    ReplyDelete