The Marketplace @ Violets & Sunshine

01 October 2015

Layers of Twinkle!



Hi All! Welcome to the Rose Blossom Blog Hop featuring Close To My Heart's October Stamp Of The Month: Twinkle. 


If you just hopped over from the super talented Shelly Nemitz's blog, Just One Pretty Piece, you're in the right place. If you started with me, or get lost along the way, there's a list of blog hop participants at the end of this post. Now on with the project....


So for this project, I decided to think outside the box a little. (I know, what box, right?!) Anyway, when I saw the ornament stamp, I knew I needed to make a poinsettia out of it, but when all was said and done, the flower was too big for a card. And so my little home decor frame was born. 


For the poinsettia, I stamped the leaves in first and second generations of Pomegranate ink using the back of the stamp. (That means I attached the stamp to the block on the striped side.) I then stamped stripes on the lighter (second generation) leaves with the same Pomegranate ink, and stamped the darker (first generation) leaves with Ruby ink. For the green leaves, I again used the back of the stamp and stamped two layers of Fern ink. I added stripes using New England Ivy. For a little extra zip, I edged all the leaves with gold embossing powder and heat set them. For the center of the flower, I used glittered hearts from the Gold Fundamentals Assortment pack, and topped it with a Gold Bling Gem.


I stamped the frame for the Believe sentiment in VersaMark ink and heat embossed it using gold embossing powder. I then inked around the edges with Cashmere ink to give it a little bit of an aged look. Finally, I stamped the sentiment in Ruby ink and added a little bling to the "i" for extra sparkle.


I wanted a simple background in the center area. So I painted it cream and added some random streaks of gold Rub 'n Buff. I then stamped the Noel, Peace, and Joy sentiments from the stamp set onto the background in Chocolate ink. The ink reacted with the Rub 'n Buff (which has an almost waxy finish) to give it a shadow look that I really liked. (You can se it in the picture above.) I also added some sparkle flourishes around the frame to tie everything together.


The frame is a simple 4x4 inch wooden frame that I picked up for a dollar at my local craft store. I used several coats of paint on it, along with Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint. After the crackling was dry, I added more cream and gold paints. (There are A LOT of layers on this frame.)

Here's one more look:


And that's it! I hope you enjoyed this merry little twinkle. Now, hop on over to the crazy-talented Morgan Vogt at TweetScraps and see what inspiring goodies she has for you today. And here's a list of blog hop participants if you get lost along the way.

Kim {you are here!}

Have a wonderfully creative day!





14 comments:

  1. You crafty/Krafty lady! I cannot believe you made a flower out of that ornament cut. Your frame is so beautiful! Love it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having a little trouble adding a comment! Anywho-- Kim, this frame is absolutely stunning! I love it when you think outside of the box, lol! I would never have dreamed of using the ornament stamp that way! So clever! :)

      Delete
  2. Well, le'ts just say ....stunning!!! Such an amazing way to use the ornament....I will so be keeping this is my little mind for later... The crackle on the frame is so fabulous. Girlfriend, I wanna be like you one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW - it never even occurred to me to use those ornaments as anything other than ornaments. That poinsettia is stunning! Well, to be honest, the whole frame is stunning, but the poinsettia is just over-the-top awesome. I totally have to steal that idea. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree with Morgan on the Poinsettia. This is just amazing Kim. You have such an eye for other ideas besides the ordinary. Love the frame and everything about this. Just gorgeous!

      Delete
    2. Thanks ladies! Morgan, steal away! 😄

      Delete
  4. This is just breathtaking and such a clever use of that stamp! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back for a re-read. I must get me some "Rub and Buff" in gold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you should! I love the stuff though you'll want to use it in a well-ventilated area. It's great for mixed media projects. :-)

      Delete
  6. I would have never thought of the poinsettia! You are brilliant. You did such a great job of making it look extra elegant too. Just stunning!

    ReplyDelete